Lordship Title of Shortgrave ID1268

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of SHORTGRAVE (Scortegrave, Sorthegrave, xiii cent.), which extends into the parishes of Totternhoe, Whipsnade and Studham, was held by the priory of Dunstable until the Dissolution, at which time the farm of the manor was worth £10, and had been demised by the prior to William Belfield at a rent of forty quarters of wheat. The manor had apparently been given to the monastery by William de Cantlowe in 1209, and additions were made to their possessions here by Thomas Inge, John de Eltesdone and others. This manor was granted in 1546 to Sir Roger Cholmeley and Christiana his wife, to be held for a fortieth part of one knight's fee. Sir Roger and Christiana seem to have sold it to Sir Thomas Russell, Richard Lygon and Mary his wife, for in 1567 they obtained licence of the queen to sell it to Michael Lodge and Ellen his wife. Ellen survived her husband and died seised of the manor in 1574, leaving her son Henry her heir. Henry settled it on his eldest son Michael on his marriage with Alice daughter of Robert Barbor in 1607, and died in 1617. The manor was settled on Michael's eldest son Henry in 1627. Michael died in 1639 and Henry succeeded him. In 1655 Henry Lodge, senior, and Henry Lodge, junior, sold the estate to Henry Honnor, who with John and Thomas Honnor sold it in 1711–12 to Thomas Cowslade. From him it passed to John Cowslade, who sold it in 1774 to Robert Pardoe. The later descent of the manor has not been ascertained.
Other Information:
Manorial Counsel Limited has created a new legal right to bring the titles of this lordship back into use.
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages