Lordship Title of Steppingley with Members ID1280

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
Holding under the St. Amands were the Knights Templars, to whom in 1239 Richard de Steppingley granted 1 virgate of land. On the suppression of this order by Edward II, Steppingley, with their other possessions in England, was bestowed on the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, who claimed in 1350 to hold a view of frankpledge here by a charter of Edward II. This estate was retained by the Hospital until the Dissolution, and was granted to Sir Richard Longe with the Preceptory of Shingay in 1540. It passed with Eversholt Rectory Manor (q.v.) through the families of Russell, Morrison and Sandys, from the latter of whom it was purchased in 1839 by the Duke of Bedford, ancestor of the present duke, now lord of the manor.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages