Lordship Title of Tingrith or Dixwells ID1303

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The only mention which occurs of Tingrith at Domesday is under the lands of Nigel de Albini, of whom TINGRITH MANOR, assessed at 2 hides 1 virgate, was held by Turgis, who had been preceded by two thegns of Edward the Confessor. Subsequently two manors are found in this parish attached to the Cainhoe barony, one of which, sometimes called DIXWELLS MANOR, follows the same descent as Wrest Manor (q.v.) in the family of de Grey. It is enumerated among those manors which in 1509 Richard de Grey Earl of Kent sold to Henry VII, and which the following year were granted back to him. It eventually became Crown property c. 1525, and so remained until 1554, when Tingrith Manor was granted by Queen Mary to George Bredyman for twenty-one years. Two years later he received a grant in fee on the occasion of his marriage with Edith Brocas, one of the queen's chamberwomen. He died seised in 1580, when Tingrith passed to his son Edmund, who made a settlement of the manor in 1592, and by a series of settlements between the years 1598 and 1600 finally alienated Tingrith to Robert Hodgson. The latter, by a will made in May 1622, bequeathed the manor to William Ashton in consideration of a sum of money owing to him. The day after making this will he borrowed money from Thomas Roupe and Leonard Welstead, granting them the manor as security. He died the same year, and these three creditors in 1629 made a settlement of Tingrith Manor, which eventually passed to William Ashton. Robert Ashton held the manor in 1651 and 1654, which later passed to Sir John Buck, bart., on his marriage with Mary Ashton, described as daughter and heir of William Ashton. Their son, Sir William Buck, bart., together with Frances his wife, made a settlement of the manor in 1697. He died in 1717, and was succeeded by his son, Sir Charles Buck, who in 1720 suffered a recovery of the manor, and four years later conveyed it to Ambrose Reddall. One of the same name still held in 1762, after which date no further trace has been found of this property.
Other Information:
Manorial Counsel Limited has created a new legal right to bring the titles of this lordship back into use.
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages