Lordship Title of Astwick ID13746

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
At the time of the Domesday Survey the land that afterwards became ASTWICK MANOR was held by Hugh de Beauchamp. He had at that time three tenants, Bernard, holding one hide and one virgate; Wenelinc holding half a hide, and Ledmar, who held half a hide, including a mill, which he had held in the time of the Confessor as man of Earl Tosti. The Beauchamp overlordship continued to be exercised in Astwick, for in 1166 Simon, son of Payn and heir of the Hugh of Domesday, exacted feudal service in Astwick, and in 1198 he was quitclaiming the advowson of Astwick to Chicksands Priory. William de Beauchamp, grandson of Simon, was overlord in 1261, in which year he had the wardship of Elias de Astwick (cf. the descent of mesne manor) at Evesham, leaving sisters as coheiresses. Of these Beatrice, who married William Monchesney, inherited the overlordship of Astwick, for in 1284 feudal service was due to her husband there. Maud, the daughter of Beatrice, married John Botetourt, and in 1328 received a licence to grant Astwick manor to William le Latimer (who had married her daughter Elizabeth) with remainder to the right heirs of Elizabeth. In pursuance of this settlement John de Nevill of Raby (whose wife Elizabeth was granddaughter of William le Latimer and suo jure Baroness Latimer) is found seised at his death of a knight's fee in Astwick. Richard Neville Lord Latimer was holding this overlordship in 1495, and four years later conveyed it by fine to John, archbishop of Canterbury, and other trustees. One later reference has been found to this lordship in an inquisition of 1608, which states that George Kympton held this manor of the earl of Shrewsbury as of his manor of Lanthony.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages