Lordship Title of Bradley Court ID14239

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The farm known as BRADLEY COURT was let in 1417 by the abbey of Abingdon to John Smith. After the dissolution of the monastery it was granted in 1540 to John Carleton of Walton-upon-Thames, Surrey, and Joyce his wife, when it was called Bralley Court alias West Bradley. In 1566 Anthony Carleton and Joyce his wife sold it for £220 to Richard Pocock, who had apparently amassed a fortune as a clothier. He died on 15 February 1595–6, and was buried at Chieveley the same day, when the estate passed under a deed of settlement made in 1588 to his son John, though his widow Elizabeth continued to live here until her death in July 1602. John Pocock obtained livery of the property on 17 September 1596. He had married on 31 August 1584 Margaret Hylbert, by whom he had four sons and six daughters, all baptized at Chieveley. On his death in 1627 the estate passed to his eldest son John, born in 1591. Margaret, who held dower, died in 1635. John her son and his brother William must have died without issue, for the estate passed to the next brother Edward, born in 1607 and married in 1638 to Dorothy Broughton, and by his will dated 1691 Edward Pocock left legacies to his daughters Elizabeth, Dorothy, Grace and Mary, and Bradley Court to his son Richard in tail, with remainder to his younger son Edward. Dorothy died in 1696, having survived her son Richard, who died in 1692. The property passed to Edward, who died in 1702 apparently childless. Bradley Court passed to his sisters, and eventually to Dorothy, who died in 1734. By her will dated 1732 she left all her manors, farms and lands in Chieveley to Richard Pocock of North Heath, the eldest son of her second cousin Richard, with reversion to Richard his eldest son, then an infant, in tail-male, with contingent remainder to Christopher Capel and Richard Head, who had married Sarah and Anne, granddaughters of her second cousin Richard, who had held the manor. By his wife Margaret Richard Pocock of North Heath seems to have had only one son Richard, born in 1730, who died in 1741. Margaret died in 1742 and Richard shortly afterwards, when, as Christopher Capel had died without male issue, the property passed to the heir of Richard Head, who died in 1740, when by his will dated 1739 it passed to his eldest son Thomas, afterwards Sir Thomas Head of Langley, in the parish of Hampstead Norris (q.v.). His son Sir Walter James Head, who in 1779–80 took the additional surname of James, was holding it in 1806. He is said to have been a gambler, and sold this and other estates about the year 1824 to John Thomas Wasey, of Prior's Court, a solicitor in Newbury, who was holding it in 1839. John Thomas Wasey was a bachelor with two sisters, and he seems to have been anxious to leave the large estates that he had acquired to someone who would perpetuate his name; he could find, however, no male relation. While on a visit to Southsea he noticed two small boys building castles in the sand, and being attracted by their appearance he asked their name. To his surprise he learnt that it was Wasey. For long he sought unsuccessfully to prove them relations, and it was believed that he had intended making them his heirs, when he died intestate on 8 October 1852. His sisters Jane wife of Col. Stackpool and Mary inherited their brother's estates. Mrs. Stackpool died in 1859 without surviving issue, as her only son was killed while hunting. Her sister Miss Mary Wasey died in 1880 and left this estate to the Rev. William George Lee Wasey, and in default of male heirs to his younger brother the Rev. John Spearman Wasey, the two boys whom her brother had met at Southsea, and who were now middle-aged clergymen. The elder of these brothers had died at Quatford, Salop, in 1877, leaving two daughters, and so at the death of Miss Wasey the estates passed to the younger, the Rev. John Spearman Wasey, vicar of Compton, at whose death in 1899 this property passed to his eldest son Mr. Edward John Spearman Wasey, the present owner.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages