Lordship Title of Eaton ID14356

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
EATON (Eatun, Ættuna, Eltune, Edtune, xi cent.; Etone, xiii-xv cent.) though claimed at a later date by Abingdon Abbey as a member of Cumnor, does not appear among the possessions of that house in any authentic charter. If the tradition has any foundation in fact Eaton had been separated from Cumnor and lost to the abbey at the time of the Conquest. In 1086 Richard, tenant of part of Appleton, held of Miles Crispin 5 hides in 'Eltune' formerly held by Halden, while Alured held of Miles the 5 hides of 'Edtune' which Bosi had formerly held. These two vills seem to have represented the earlier and later Eaton; each was assessed both before and after the Conquest at 5 hides. Both fees afterwards became part of the honour of Wallingford. One (probably Richard's) manor seems to have followed the descent of Appleton; the other holding apparently passed from Alured to his son Roger, for early in the 12th century Roger son of Alfred granted to Abingdon Abbey his tithes of Eaton, near Cumnor, and promised to persuade his tenants in that will to do likewise. It was probably this fee which was held by the Eatons. Richer de Eaton had lands here in 1240, Robert de Eaton in 1291. The mesne lord in 1299 was William de Harpsden, but Peter de Eaton was lord in 1316, and in February 1360–1 enrolment was made of a grant of land here and in Appleton and Cumnor by Robert de Eton to William Maunsel rector of Grendon and two chaplains. The manor was held by Margaret widow of John de Evesham in dower in 1402, when the remainder was settled on Aumary Lord St. Amand of St. Helen's (q.v.), and Eleanor his wife; it afterwards passed with St. Helen's to John Golafre of Fyfield. It has since followed the descent of Fyfield (q.v.), and now belongs to St. John's College, Oxford.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages