Lordship Title of Elton ID14265

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The under-tenant was Adam de Elfington, who was holding it in 1220–1 and 1272. He appears to have died soon afterwards, for in 1275–6 we find Ralph, perhaps his son, holding it. In 1286 lands in Oakhanger and elsewhere were held by Joan widow of Gilbert de Oakhanger, who was a daughter of Fulke de St. John. Joan appears, however, to have held only a third in dower, and this she was still holding in 1315 with her second husband Richard de Pudelcote. The remaining two thirds had passed to her son Geoffrey de Oakhanger, who was then dead, and his son Gilbert in March of that year sold his interest in it to Geoffrey de Padebury. Geoffrey granted it to the abbey of Abingdon, which is here described as mesne lord between him and the king. The abbey of Abingdon held rents here in 1417–18, and at the time of their dissolution in 1538 their property here consisted of a pasture called Oakhanger valued at £2 6s. 8d., which was in 1544 granted with the manor of Weston to Thomas Denton and Margaret his wife. How long this estate passed with the manor of Weston has not been ascertained, but in time the house and certain lands were sold and in 1837 they were the property of Captain George William Collins Jacks. It is now the property of Mr. Arkell.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages