29 Nov Lordship Title of Foliejohn ID14102
Posted at 08:23h
in
County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of FOLIEJOHN (Folye Johan, Folieion, Folyjon, xiv cent.) consisted of lands within the forest of Windsor granted in 1302 to John de Drokensford, Bishop of Bath and Wells, to hold at a rent from the Crown. His property, described as 'the manors of Hyremere and Belestre, which latter is commonly called Folye Johan,' was taken into the king's hands in 1313 in discharge of the bishop's debts, and was granted in 1317 to Oliver de Bordeaux for the rent of a red rose, with licence to inclose the wood of 'Foly Johan' and make a park. In 1318 a further grant of 40 acres from the waste of the forest to be assarted was made to him. The reversion of the manor, contingent on the death of Oliver de Bordeaux and his wife Maud without issue, was bestowed upon his step-son William Trussel of Kibblestone. Edward III, however, wishing to reattach Foliejohn with the other lands granted out of the Crown to Windsor, effected an exchange with Trussel in 1359, granting him the manor of Eton Hastings. In this deed the property is described as 'the lands of Folyjohan, Hermere and Widmere, which of the soil of the King's forest of Windsor were assarted and arrentated,' and in almost all later records these three names are associated together. Hyremere, which is supposed to have been that part of the manor lying to the west of Buntingbury, is mentioned in the 10th century, when it was one of the boundaries of Winkfield Manor. The manor or park remained in the king's hands, being entrusted to various keepers, generally the constables of Windsor Castle. In 1630 the manor was granted to Serjeant Henne, who was created a baronet in 1642. He was succeeded on his death in 1667 by his son Henry, who died circa 1675, leaving a son and namesake. The latter died in 1705, and Foliejohn passed to his son Richard, upon whose death circa 1710 the estate devolved upon his daughters Penelope and Alice. The former in 1735 sold her moiety to Mr. Bennett, who in 1744 sold it to Lord Henry Beauclerk. The other daughter Alice married James Weldhurst and in 1748 sold the other moiety to Lord Henry Beauclerk. In 1771 it was sold by his representatives to George Phillips Towry. After 1800 the property for a short time was in the possession of Thomas Bingley, who sold it in 1802 to William Blane. It now belongs to Capt. Gilbert Gordon Blane, who inherited it from his uncle Mr. Thomas Law Blane in 1885. The lagend of St. Hubert's Well in the park is told in an old Berkshire song or poem now quite forgotten.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No