Lordship Title of Little Staughton ID13921

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
That Bushmead Priory owned lands in Little Staughton in the early part of the 13th century is proved by a reference to them in a Bull of Pope Gregory addressed to the prior. In 1387–8 John de Hemingford and others granted a messuage with 54 acres of arable land, 4 acres of meadow, 8 acres of wood and 5s. rent in Little Staughton to the Prior of Bushmead, to be held of the honour of Bedford. At the time of the Dissolution the annual rent from the priory's possessions in Little Staughton was £3 3s. Henry VIII granted these lands to Sir William Gascoigne of Cardington, comptroller of Cardinal Wolsey's household. Sir William's son and heir Sir John Gascoigne in 1545 obtained licence to alienate the land to Anthony Cockett, who a year later was granted the manor of Little Staughton. The further descent of this land is the same as that of the manor (q.v.).
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages