Lordship Title of Ouse ID13854

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
A sixth estate in Sharnbrook, known at the present day as OUSE MANOR, had its origin in the various grants made by the Child family to Newnham Priory about the 13th century. Robert son of William le Child gave the priory the waters of the Ouse inclosed from Sitegate to Besebrigg, whilst John his son bestowed at various times 7, 5 and 20 selions of land. In 1278 the prior was declared to have a free fishery from the mill of Pinch to the mill of Stoke and from Sculteleye to the head of the pond of Pinch. This property followed the same descent as Tofte Manor, and it is not until 1614 that it becomes differentiated. It then appears in an inquisition as '5 messuages 246 acres of land and a piece of water called le Owes in Sharnebrook.' It appears later in the Cobbe family, though no record of the transfer has been found, and in 1700, on the partition of George Cobbe's estate amongst his sisters, it passed to Rebecca wife of Joseph Godfrey, who was holding it in 1721. It was subsequently sold by Rebecca to Charles Dymoke William, from whom it passed by sale to the father of Charles Tanqueray, who sold it before 1809 to Mr. Thomas Gell. He left it by will to his nephew William Islip, whose mortgagees sold it in or about 1880 to the present owner, Mr. William Whitworth.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages