Lordship Title of Peasemore ID14257

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The third manor was held in the reign of the Confessor by Alwin and at the time of the Domesday Survey by William Count of Evreux, who granted it to the church of Noion. It was confirmed to them by his grandson Simon between 1140 and 1157. It seems probable that as in the case of the count's manor of Calcote in the parish of Hungerford it was held of the priory of Noion in the 13th century by Alan de Farnham, from whom it passed to John de St. Helena and his wife Juliana. These manors passed to the son of Juliana by a former marriage, Gilbert de Elsefield, who granted them to Henry le Tyes of Chilton and Margaret his wife. On the death of Henry and Margaret they passed presumably to their son Henry, who was executed in 1321, when his heir was his sister Margaret wife of Warin de Lisle. These lands are perhaps included in those held by Warin in 1324, and he died seised of them in 1327, when they are described as being held of Simon de Norton or Northampton. Warin had evidently been interested in lands here as early as 1320, when at his orders several of his servants came to Peasemore and so ill-used Robert de Ilsley that he died. He attached these lands to his adjoining manor of Beedon, and they have passed with that manor (q.v.) to the present day and are now owned by the Lady Wantage. By 1535 both of the first two manors had come into the hands of the king and for ten years these estates, now treated as one manor, remained part of the lordship of Donnington. In 1545 this manor was leased for forty years to Edward Fettiplace, the king's servant, and in 1563 it was granted by Queen Elizabeth to John Lyford and others. John Lyford, who lived at Rushdens in the parish of Stanford Dingley, conveyed the manor to trustees in 1600. He alienated to trustees in 1608–9 for the purposes of settlement and died in 1610 seised of the manor, which passed to his son Richard. On a brass erected to his memory in the church of Stanford Dingley he is described as citizen and merchant tailor of London. Richard took possession of the manor in 1611, and in 1634, with Joan his wife, he settled it on his son Richard on his marriage with Mary daughter of Thomas Castell. Richard the younger died in 1638 seised of this manor. His father survived him and died at Rushdens in 1640. ¶At the death of the younger Richard the manor passed under the settlement of 1634 to his widow with remainder to his daughter Mary, and in 1661 Charles Evans and Mary his wife and Thomas Edwards and Mary his wife conveyed the manor to trustees. It seems possible that these two Marys were the widow and daughter of Richard Lyford. The elder Mary must have died and the younger Mary married again before 1686, when Thomas Coward, sen., clerk, and Mary his wife placed the manor in settlement, for the Mary in this case, as appears from the inscription on her monument, was the daughter of Richard Lyford. On 5 April 1705 her only daughter Mary was married to Mr. Ralph Sherley of Oxford, and Mrs. Coward died 16 October 1709, aged seventy-four years. In 1719 Ralph Sherley, clerk, and Mary his wife conveyed the manor to John Beale, apparently in trust. Mary died in 1729 and Anne, her daughter, in 1745. In 1756 Ralph and other members of the family conveyed the manor to John Archer and John Loder, clerk, probably as trustees for a settlement. Ralph died in 1760, when he was described as 'Rector of Welford and of this Parish Church and Lord of the Manor of Peasemore.' He seems to have been succeeded by his son William, who is described as lord of the manor, and who died childless in 1775, aged sixty-one. The manor then seems to have passed under the provisions of the settlement of 1756 to John Archer of Welford, and he and Rosanna his wife with others conveyed it to trustees in 1784. The manor has since passed with the manor of Welford (q.v.) and is at present owned by Col. G. B. Archer-Houblon.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages