Lordship Title of Shaw or Shaw Grange ID14258

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In 1199 Adam son of Phareman sold to John Abbot of Waverley a virgate of land in Shaw, which is subsequently referred to as the manor of SHAW or SHAW GRANGE. This estate was confirmed to them in 1206, and it was restored to them in 1345, after it had been seized by the escheator in Berks. In 1534 it was said to have an annual value of £5 6s. 8d., and at the dissolution of the abbey in 1536 it was granted to Sir William Fitzwilliam, treasurer of the king's household. Sir William seems to have transferred it during his lifetime to Anthony Browne first Viscount Montagu, who had licence to alienate it in 1567 and sold it in that year to William Forster, from whom it was purchased in 1575 by Henry Blanchard and Matthew Haylock, who in turn sold it in the following year to John Dancastle or Dancaster. John Dancastle died seised of three quarters of this manor on 8 October 1610, when his heir was found to be his grandson John the son and heir of his eldest son John, but it would seem that John did not inherit this manor, which apparently passed to Griffin second son of the John Dancastle who first acquired the manor, for in the Heralds' visitations of 1665–6 we find him described as formerly of Grange in the parish of Shaw. Griffin married Jane daughter of— Kemble of Widhill, Wilts. In 1664 his son Francis, then aged sixty, was described as of the Grange. Francis married Bridget daughter of Giles Webb of Lydiard, Wilts., and their son Francis was aged twenty-two in 1664–5. The further history of this estate is obscure until early in the 19th century it came into the hands of Mrs. Bebb of Donnington Grove, who sold it to Charles Hopkinson, from whom it was purchased 25 March 1861 by Mr. Eyre and added to the manor of Shaw. In 1576, when John Dolman sold his interest in the manor to his brother Thomas, there was included a third part of two several fisheries. One of these was doubtless in the Lambourn, and the other in a small tributary known as Shaw Spout, for in 1623 we find the latter fishery mentioned as belonging to the manor.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages