Lordship Title of Stanford ID13993

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
STANFORD MANOR, the second manor in this parish, was in 1284–6 in the possession of John le Child, who died before 1287. His son, also John, alienated it before 1316 to John de Pabenham, son of Sir John de Pabenham of Pavenham Manor (q.v.). John de Pabenham the younger died seised of Stanford Manor in 1330. His widow, Joan, was holding in 1346, and her son James established his right during the following year as her heir. No later connexion, however, of the Pabenhams with the manor has been found, and it was probably this land which was granted to Warden Abbey in 1360 by William Burlee and others, as it had passed into the possession of the abbey before 1428. After the Dissolution it was leased for terms of years, but by 1574 Cuthbert Reyner had received a permanent grant from the Crown and sold it in that year to George Mordaunt. There was a long law-suit between George Mordaunt and Thomas Bedell, which in 1579 resulted in the confirmation of the property to the former. In 1595 he conveyed it to John Lord St. John of Bletsoe, after which date it becomes absorbed in the manor of Stanfordbury (q.v.).
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages